As you all would be knowing that SBI Clerk Mains has been postponed until further notice. This exam was going to be conducted on April 19, 2020, but because of COVID-19 pandemic, this exam has been postponed. Even the SBI Clerk 2020 Prelims results hasn’t been declared yet. We duly hope that aspirants who have appeared for Prelims would have started their preparation for SBI Clerk 2020 Mains exam. If you haven’t started the preparation yet, take a Free Mock Test of SBI Clerk Mains and know your preparation level. Knowing the preparation level will help you immensely as you can put more focus on your weak areas. In this article, we have come up with the benefits of reading newspaper and how this habit can help you score good marks in the general awareness section.
Importance of Current Affairs & General Awareness
The importance of general awareness is of prominent importance in this exam. Apart from other sources like monthly & weekly GK capsules, newspapers are one important resource you shouldn’t ignore. For one, they get you the latest update on a range of topics and they get you the opinion of subject matter specialists on topics which are important to the nation. These opinions help you in creating a mindset and help you keep yourself updated on answering current affairs questions asked in SBI Clerk 2020 Mains. You also get the latest facts & figures on the news which will be helpful in the current affairs part of general awareness section.
Are you complaining that you don’t get time to read newspapers? Well! Reading newspapers doesn’t just help you in general awareness section, it also helps you in other sections. Regular reading helps you get a good reading speed which helps you in getting a marginal edge in all the sections as you take little time to read. It also improves your vocabulary and writing skills. It is advisable to take out 1-2 hours of your time and start reading newspapers. This is especially important in these COVID-19 times when you have some spare time which you should try to fully utilize. Start reading newspapers today. We are providing some tips below where you can really benefit from reading newspapers.
Please note that not everything needs to be covered in a newspaper. You need to filter and focus on those newspaper articles which will be important in your upcoming exams. You have to be selective and don’t have to waste time on articles which are not important thereby making the most of your precious time. Below we are providing the kind of news you should read while going through a newspaper. Selecting a good newspaper is equally important. You can pick either of The Hindu or The Indian Express.
When you read a newspaper, keep a pen and notebook handy and highlight all the articles in the newspaper which belong to either of the below categories:
- News of national importance
- News of international importance
- Economic news
- Sports news
- News related to science & technology
Once you are done with highlighting the relevant news, you need to analyze and summarize each article. Write the below in your notebook for each of the highlighted articles:
- A quick summary of the news (what happened)
- Where (affected geographical locations)
- When (timeline of the news)
- Why (Reason it happened; root cause analysis)
- Facts & Figures (important data related to the news)
For eg. let’s have a look at the news on the recent news of the First Mars Mission of China. On reading this article, you are suggested to make notes as below:
- A Long March-5 rocket, China’s largest and most powerful launch vehicle, carrying the spacecraft with a mass of about five tonnes, soared into the sky from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site on the coast of southern China’s island province of Hainan,
- The Chinese Mars probe named Tianwen 1 or Quest for Heavenly Truth 1, will fulfil three scientific objectives: orbiting the red planet for comprehensive observation, landing on Martian soil and sending a rover to roam the landing site.
- Date when the launch was made: July 23, 2020
- On April 24, China named its first Mars exploration mission as Tianwen-1 as it celebrated ‘Space Day’ to mark the 50th anniversary of the launch of the country’s first satellite Dong Fang Hong-1 in 1970.
- China aims to catch up with India, the US, Russia and the European Union to reach the red planet. Recently India became the first country to have entered the Martian orbit in its first attempt.
Link of the news: https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/china-launches-first-mars-mission/article32171852.ece?homepage=true
Importance of Handwritten Notes
Handwritten notes help you in retaining the information quickly especially because these notes have been written by you in your own style of writing. Notes, if made in this manner, will definitely aid you in an effective revision just before the night of the exam. Not just this, reading editorials and opinions of different subject-matter specialists on a regular basis will help you in the exam of SBI Clerk 2020 Mains. Please remember that Weekly General Awareness Capsules are best for revision and to double-check if you have missed anything in your notes. Aspirants who have successfully cleared banking exams have repeatedly said in their success stories that handwritten notes have helped them the maximum. So what are you waiting for? Start reading a newspaper from today only and start making your notes.
Let us know if you have your own unique way of reading a newspaper. We wish you all the best for your preparation!
- Download Practicemock App for Updated Current Affairs, Free Topic-Wise Quizzes and Free Mini Mocks
- PracticeMock recommends AffairsCloud Current Affairs 2020 PDF. Buy Now and get Rs. 30 off by using the coupon code "PRACTICEMOCK"