If you are preparing for IBPS PO, RRB Officer Scale 1, RRB Clerk, RBI Grade B, SEBI Grade A etc. preparation of Static GK is a must. There are some questions of Static GK in the General Awareness section which you can use for your benefit. The best part of these Static GK questions is that most of the times their answers remain static and don’t change. You need to memorize Static GK and Static Banking topics by heart. In this article, we have come up with the list of Governors of Reserve Bank of India. This list is important from Static Banking point of view. Questions have been asked on this topic in previous banking exams. We suggest that you memorise this list and revise it on a regular basis. Let’s now have a look at the sample questions related to RBI Governors:
List of RBI Governors- Sample Questions
Question: Who was the First Governor of Reserve Bank of India?
Answer: Osborne Smith
Question: Who is the current Governor of RBI?
Answer: Shaktikanta Das
Question: ‘I do what I do’ book was authored by which Governor of RBI?
Answer: Raghuram Rajan
Question: Who was the first Indian Governor of RBI?
Answer: C. D. Deshmukh
Question: Name the 15th Governor of RBI who later became the 13th Prime Minister of India?
Answer: Dr Manmohan Singh
- The Governor of the Reserve Bank of India is the Chief Executive Officer of India’s central bank and the ex-officio chairperson of its Central Board of Directors.
- The term of office typically runs for three years and in some cases, can be extended for two years.
List of Governors of the Reserve Bank of India:
|1||Osborne Smith||1 April 1935 – 30 June 1937|
|2||James Braid Taylor||1 July 1937 – 17 February 1943|
|3||C. D. Deshmukh||11 August 1943 – 30 June 1949|
|4||Benegal Rama Rau||1 July 1949 – 14 January 1957|
|5||K. G. Ambegaonkar||14 January 1957 – 28 February 1957|
|6||H. V. R. Iyengar||1 March 1957 – 28 February 1962|
|7||P. C. Bhattacharya||1 March 1962 – 30 June 1967|
|8||Lakshmi Kant Jha||1 July 1967 – 3 May 1970|
|9||B. N. Adarkar||4 May 1970 – 15 June 1970|
|10||Sarukkai Jagannathan||16 June 1970 – 19 May 1975|
|11||N. C. Sen Gupta||19 May 1975 – 19 August 1975|
|12||K. R. Puri||20 August 1975 – 2 May 1977|
|13||M. Narasimham||3 May 1977 – 30 November 1977|
|14||I. G. Patel||1 December 1977 – 15 September 1982|
|15||Manmohan Singh||16 September 1982 – 14 January 1985|
|16||Amitav Ghosh||15 January 1985 – 4 February 1985|
|17||R. N. Malhotra||4 February 1985 – 22 December 1990|
|18||S. Venkitaramanan||22 December 1990 – 21 December 1992|
|19||C. Rangarajan||22 December 1992 – 21 November 1997|
|20||Bimal Jalan||22 November 1997 – 6 September 2003|
|21||Y. Venugopal Reddy||6 September 2003 – 5 September 2008|
|22||D. Subbarao||5 September 2008 – 4 September 2013|
|23||Raghuram Rajan||4 September 2013 – 4 September 2016|
|24||Urjit Patel||4 September 2016 – 11 December 2018|
|25||Shaktikanta Das||12 December 2018 to Present|
Some Quick Facts about RBI Governors:
- The inaugural officeholder was the British banker Osborne Smith.
- C. D. Deshmukh was the first Indian governor.
- Holding office for over seven years, Benegal Rama Rau is the longest-serving governor, while Amitav Ghosh’s 20-day term is the shortest.
- The bank’s 15th governor, Dr Manmohan Singh, later became India’s 13th prime minister.
- Shaktikanta Das is the 25th governor of the Reserve Bank of India from 12 December 2018.
We hope that the above PDF will be helpful in your preparation!
- Download Practicemock App for Updated Current Affairs, Free Topic-Wise Quizzes and Free Mini Mocks
- PracticeMock recommends AffairsCloud Current Affairs 2020 PDF. Buy Now and get Rs. 30 off by using the coupon code "PRACTICEMOCK"