Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam is conducted by 7 IITs and IISC Bengaluru every year. Candidates give GATE to pursue higher studies and take jobs in any reputed PSU. One benefit of passing GATE exam is that candidates can pursue Ph.D. from any reputable college/university. Admission to Ph.D. through GATE score is possible in institutions backed by the Ministry of Human Resources and other government departments providing candidates scholarships.
GATE Financial Assistance in Ph.D.
Candidates seeking admission to Ph.D. course program through GATE should know the financial assistance requirements. Go through the guidelines below to know about Ph.D. admissions through GATE.
- Candidates upon clearing GATE exam can avail the benefit of scholarship/financial assistantship.
- You get a scholarship of Rs. 31000 per month for two years as Junior Research Fellow (JRF).
- GATE scholarship is provided for two years to students pursuing M.Tech course program.
- Candidates who opt to do M.Tech from MHRD approved educational institution get a scholarship of Rs.12,400 per month.
- The scholarship is provided to Ph.D. students for five years.
- The scholarship amount for Senior Research Fellow (SRF) is Rs. 35000.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for GATE Scholarship
Know the details on what basis candidates can apply for GATE scholarship for the Ph.D. course program. Let us discuss the eligibility criteria to apply for scholarship after clearing GATE.
- Applicants enrolled for part-time M.Tech or Ph.D. courses are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Applicants with a valid GATE score can apply for the scholarship.
- Candidate should have a savings bank account. Joint accounts do not hold eligibility to apply for a GATE scholarship.
- GATE scholarship will be awarded to candidates from the admission date/start date (whichever is later) to the submission of thesis.
- GATE candidates enrolled in engineering and architecture programs can apply for scholarships.
- The stipend paid to candidates for Ph.D. program is for 24 months.
Candidates Selection in Ph.D. after clearing GATE
Candidates should be clear about thier course of interest and why they want to research it. You should clearly communicate your knowledge and ideas in the research field. Communicate about your research as you want to solve a particular problem through your research. The process of selecting candidates for Ph.D. courses is based on an Interview and a Statement of Purpose. They need to submit a Statement of Purpose and clear interview to get admission in the Ph.D. course in any reputed institution.
Interview is conducted to test the topic of interest of candidates. Prepare research topics and questions for interview rounds accordingly.
Statement of Purpose
Define your interest in exploring a list of topics. It is advisable to choose more than one topic and prepare your Statement of Purpose on it.
List of Institutes providing GATE Scholarships for Ph.D. course
GATE-qualified candidates are eligible for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) and SRF (Senior Research Fellowship). At that same time, they can apply for Ph.D. in any of the following institutions.
|Indian Institute of Information Technology, Bengaluru
|Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bengaluru Campus
|Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
|Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
|Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
|Central Power Research Institute
|Institute for Plasma Research
|Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (CAIR)
|Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
|Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
|Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
|Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
|Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
|Central Inland Capture Fisheries Research Institute
|Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
|Regional Research Laboratory
|Indian Statistical Institute
|Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics
|The Institute of Mathematical Sciences
|Forest Research Institute
|Indian School of Mines, Jharkhand
|National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences
|Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
|Indian Space Research Organisation
|Centre for Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation
Attempting GATE exam opens the gateway for candidates to go for M.Tech/Ph.D. course programs. They can avail scholarship benefits with a valid GATE score. While applying for Ph.D. in any reputed institution be clear your research topics and communicate them clearly during interview rounds to get admission to any reputed institution.
- Sign Up on Practicemock for Updated Current Affairs, Free Topic Tests and Free Mini Mocks
- Sign Up Here to Download Free Study Material