If you are preparing for competitive exams, staying updated on current affairs is a challenging task. Considering the fact that current affairs is a scoring part of the general awareness section, and a good score in the GA section will give a good boost to your overall score, you need to be on the top of your performance while preparing for this section. Also, it has been observed that the questions are generally asked from the last 6-7 months from the date of the exam. IBPS RRB Clerk & PO exams have now been postponed until further notice. You should make good use of this extra time which you have got because of the postponement of RRB Clerk Mains & RRB PO Mains exams. So get started with your preparation &revision now itself and start by taking a free mock test.
Hoping that the dates of remaining exams like SEBI Grade A 2020 Phase I, SBI Clerk 2020 Mains, RBI Assistant 2020 Mains, which have been postponed until further notice, will be scheduled in the month of October/November 2020. Even the exam notifications which aren’t out because of COVID-19, like SBI PO 2020, RBI Grade B 2020 etc. will be released slowly and their dates will be scheduled in the upcoming months. For the preparation of the current affairs of these exams, we have come up with a series of current affairs PDFs which are released on a weekly basis.
Here are some other tips for current affairs preparation.
- Reading Newspaper on a regular basis- This is a very basic step towards a solid preparation of current affairs. Devote at least 30 minutes for reading a good newspaper on a regular basis.
- Reading Magazines- Magazines like Yojana, PIB are also important for current affairs preparation.
- Make Your own notes- As you go through different sources of current affairs, keep making your own notes. It will help you immensely when the exams are near and you would need to revise quickly.
- Use Monthly Capsule of Current Affairs– We also provide monthly current affairs capsules for current affairs. Use these capsules for revision and to cover any point you might have missed while going through weekly current affairs PDF.
We suggest that for a solid preparation of current affairs, you download, study & revise these weekly PDFs on a regular basis. Download the October (Week 2) Current Affairs PDF from the link given below:
Download All Weekly Current Affairs PDFs here.
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Kozhikode will launch an e-learning hub and library as a pilot project for villagers.
- India’s premium cotton would be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in the world cotton trade. The Kasturi Cotton brand will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indianness.
- Union minister Jitendra Singh announced that government have abolished the interview for recruitment in government jobs in 23 states and 8 union territories.
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi has released a commemorative coin of 100 rupees in honour of Vijaya Raje Scindia. The coin is being released on the occasion of birth centenary of Vijaya Raje Scindia. She was one among the Founding members of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- NITI Aayog and United States Agency for International Development (USAID) jointly launched the India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF) under the US–India Strategic Energy Partnership (SEP).
- India has successfully test-fired the Rudram – an Anti-Radiation Missile. It has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The missile was test fired from its primary test platform Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft off the east coast.
- Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati has signed an MoU with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Pune to set up a Rs 17-crore supercomputing facility.
- Intel India in association with International Institute of Information Technology Hyderabad (IIIT-H), has set up an artificial intelligence research centre in which city of India Hyderabad.
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan, presided over an inter-ministerial meet with Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and senior officials of other ministries on October 15, 2020. The meet was held in order to build a ‘Whole of Government’ approach to achieve the ‘Vision 2050’ of the Eat Right India Mission.
- Gujarat state government has announced a ‘Digital Seva Setu’ programme to ensure optimum utilisation of technology for public welfare in rural areas.
- The Delhi government passed a new tree transplantation policy. Under the policy, 80% of the trees that are uprooted for any construction or development project will be transplanted elsewhere.
- Assam state government has launched a mobile app “Kisan Rath” that connects more than 10,000 farmers, 50 farmer producer organizations and 1,000 verified agricultural traders on its interface.
- Uttarakhand state government has launched “Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana”.
- Haryana state government has launched “Lab on Wheels” to test the water quality in the state under Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Kerala has become the first state in the country that have made the public education completely digital. Kerala achieved this milestone within two years of the launch of the initiative. Total expenditure on the initiative was Rs 42.36 crores. The project was implemented by Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education.
- On the inaugural session of “all.ai 2020 Virtual Summit” on October 13, 2020 the Intel India announced the launch of an applied artificial intelligence (AI) research (INAI) center in Hyderabad. The research center would be launch in collaboration with the Telangana government, International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (IIIT-H) and Public Health Foundation of India.
- A toll-free government helpline for mental health ”Mann Samvad” was launched by Rajasthan.
The helpline 1800-180-0018 launched by the state government to continuously strengthening mental health services during the coronavirus period.
- Hollongi airport which a greenfield airport is being built in Arunachal Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched the “hath dhona, roke corona” campaign on October 15, 2020. This campaign was launched while emphasising upon the sanitation practices on the occasion of Global Handwashing Day.
- World Economic Forum will jointly establish country’s first of its kind Advanced Manufacturing hub (AMHUB).
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has announced that it will hold its Annual Meeting in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland from May 18 to 21, 2021. The Annual Meeting 2021 will be preceded by high-level “Davos Dialogues” The Davos Dialogues will be digitally convened by the World Economic Forum around 25 January.
- Russia has test-fired the Hypersonic Cruise missile called TSIRKON (Zircon) successfully in the white Sea on October 7, 2020. The test fire was conducted on the occasion of the birthday of the former Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) . It was selected on the basis of votes of member countries. It secured 169 votes out of 193 votes of the member of UN General Assembly.
- The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) which is an Australia science agency have studied that 14 million tonnes of harmful microplastics are present in the bottom of the world’s deep oceans. The accumulation of this chunk of plastic is the result of pervasive use of plastic.
- The Union Cabinet approved signing of an agreement with Japan aimed at enhancing cooperation in emerging technologies, protection of critical infrastructure, cyberspace and to mitigate threats to communication networks.
- India along with six other countries will back a UK-led campaign against end-to-end encryption of messages by social media giants such as Facebook. They have claimed that this feature hinders the law enforcement against the illegal activities by blocking all access to them.
- As per the announcement made by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) Pakistan will continue to remain under “grey list”.
- Bangladesh has introduced the death penalty for rape.
- Argentina become the first country in the world to approve genetically modified wheat.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (US-FDA) has approved the first Ebola Virus treatment drug named Inmazeb. It is a mixture of three monoclonal antibodies namely- atoltivimab, maftivimab, and odesivimab-ebgn. This is the first FDA-approved treatment for Zaire ebolavirus (Ebola virus) infection in adult and pediatric patients.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has announced that India has been re-elected as President of International Solar Alliance (ISA). Along with India, France has also been re-elected as the Co-President of the alliance in the ISA’s Third Assembly. The tenure for both the countries would be of two years.
- Russia has approved the second Covid-19 vaccine called the ‘EpiVacCorona’ after early-stage trials. This new vaccine comes has been approved two months after the Russia’s first vaccine Sputnik V.
REPORTS & SCHEMES
- PM Narendra Modi has launched physical distribution of property cards under which scheme SVAMITVA. Under this scheme, beneficiaries of ‘SVAMITVA Scheme’ can use the property as a financial asset for taking loans and other financial benefits.
- India ranks 155th in the health spending index 2020 released by Oxfam. Globally, the report found, only 26 of the 158 countries surveyed were spending the recommended 15% of their
budgets on health. “Nigeria, Bahrain and India, (the last of) which is currently experiencing the world’s fastest growing outbreak of Covid-19, were among the world’s worst performing countries in tackling inequality going into the pandemic.
- India ranks 129th among 158 countries in the 2020 Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index. According to the report, India has spent only 4 percent of its budget on health during the Pandemic, which is the Fourth Lowest in the world. Nigeria, Bahrain and India are among the World’s worst performing countries in tackling inequality during the pandemic. With 4% of Budget on Health, India has been ranked at 155 (4th from the Bottom) on the health spending index.
- Tech For Tribals” initiative was e-launched by TRIFED, Ministry of Tribal Affairs in association with Chhattisgarh MFP Federation and IIT Kanpur. Tech for Tribals TRIFED commenced the ‘Tech for Tribals’ programme in collaboration with Ministry of Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) under the ESDP.
- The 2020 State of Climate Services report was released on the occasion of International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction by the UN World Meteorological Organization (WMO). The 2020 State of Climate Services report comprises of 16 different case studies on successful early warning systems for hazards such as tropical cyclones, floods, droughts, hurricanes, heatwaves, forest fires, desert locusts, dust and sand storms, severe winters and glacial lake outbursts.
The report highlights that:
- Extreme weather and climate events have increased in frequency, severity and intensity.
- One in three people are not adequately covered by early warning systems.
- In 2018, around 108 million people needed the help from the international humanitarian system because of storms, floods, droughts and wildfires.
- The report estimates that, by 2030 the number of people taking international humanitarian system could increase by 50% at a cost of around US$ 20 billion a year.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- . According to a study published in the medical journal Lancet India is likely to become the third largest economy in the world by 2050.
- Microsoft has partnered with All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) to empower students, educators in Next-Generation Technology such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), Data Science and Cloud Computing.
- The Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman had announced measures to boost the demand in the country on October 12, 2020. The measures include the schemes namely, the Special Festival Advance Scheme and LTC Cash Voucher Scheme. For booting the demand, Government of India has allocated Rs 73,000 crores. It will simulate the consumer spending.
- As per the ‘World Economic Outlook’ report, published by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) by what percent Indian Economy will contract in the financial year 2020-21 10.3 per cent.
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has released the World Economic Outlook (WEO) on October 13, 2020. As per the report, India will to slip below Bangladesh in terms of per capita GDP in 2020. The latest report Highlights that Bangladesh is likely to expand by 4% in 2020.
- The World Bank projected India’s GDP to contract by what percent in the fiscal year 2020-21 9.6%. The World Bank earlier in June had estimated the Indian economy to shrink by 3.2% in the current fiscal. The World Bank recently released its report titled ‘South Asia Economic Focus’, noting that the country’s economic situation is much worse than ever seen before.
- The Union Cabinet approved the World Bank-supported Strengthening Teaching- Learning and Results for States (STARS) project on October 14, 2020 under the New Education Policy (NEP). The project will be implemented as a centrally sponsored scheme under the Department of School Education & Literacy, Ministry of Education
- The Ministry of MSME has launched the artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) tools in order to provide effective assistance and solutions to the issues of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs). These tools have been started on its Single Window System called the ‘Champions’ portal. These tools would be strengthening the portal.
FINANCE AND BANKING
- ICICI Bank has launched a debit card facility for the customers availing the Loan Against Securities (LAS) from the Bank.
- Amazon e-commerce company has partnered with ‘Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation’ (IRCTC), to provide facility to book reserved train tickets on its platform.
- As per the 3rd bi-monthly monetary policy, the repo rate under the LAF has been kept unchanged at 4%. The marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate have been kept unchanged at 4.25%. the Reserve Bank of India will introduce on-tap targeted long-term repo operations (TLTRO) for banks to borrow up to Rs 1 trillion.
- Axis bank has launched a new entry-level credit card named ACE Credit Card, with a focus on increasing participation of users in the digital economy partnership with Google Pay.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to move towards the Next Generation Treasury Application (NGTA). This decision has been taken by the RBI for managing the country’s foreign exchange and gold reserves. The NGTA application will help improve the functioning of the central bank. About NGTA The NGTA will be a web-based application.
- LIC Housing Finance Limited has launched “Project RED” to improve efficiencies at every level of the organization. LIC Housing Finance Ltd (LICHFL) launched “Project RED” (Reimagining Excellence through Digital transformation) to improve efficiencies at every level of the organisation.
AWARDS & RECOGNISTION
- The 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna “for the development of a method for genome editing”.
- The Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded by The Swedish Academy, Stockholm, Sweden. the American poet Louise Glück was born in 1943 in New York and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She has received several prestigious awards, among them the Pulitzer Prize (1993) and the National Book Award (2014).
- The Nobel Prize for Economics, 2020 was awarded to Paul R Milogrom and Robert B Wilson for improvement to Auction theory. They were awarded for improvements to Auction Theory and also for inventing new auction formats. The prize is also called Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel. The theory formulated by Milgrom allowed calculating common and private values that vary from bidder to bidder.
- The Nobel Peace Prize 2020 has been awarded to the United nation’s World Food Programme (WFP). The programme has been awarded the prize for its efforts to fight the hunger specially in the war zones and conflict affected areas. The Norwegian Nobel Committee decided to award the prize to the WEP.
PERSON IN NEWS
- M Rajeshwar Rao has been appointed as the new deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- Nilesh Shah has been elected as the Chairman of Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI).
- J. Venkatramu has been appointed the managing director and chief executive officer of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB).
- Piyush Goyal has been assigned the additional charge of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution after the demise of Ram Vilas Paswan.
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar passed away recently, he also served as governor of Nagaland and Manipur.
- Union minister Ram Vilas Paswan passed away recently, he was president of which political party Lok Janshakti Party.
- Justice KK Usha, passed away, she was first women chief justice of Kerala High Court.
- Indian sportsman Carlton Chapman passed away recently he was associated with Football.
- The World Post Day is observed every year on which date 9th October.
- World Migratory Bird Day is observed globally on10th October. This time the theme of World Migratory Bird Day 2020 is “Birds Connect Our World”.
- World Mental Health Day is observed globally every year on 10th October. This year’s theme set by the World Federation for Mental Health is ‘mental health for all’.
- International Day of the Girl Child is observed globally every year on 11th October. The theme for 2020 International Day of the Girl Child is “My voice, our equal future”
- Lewis Hamilton has won the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix, held at the Nürburgring in Nürburg, Germany This is Hamilton’s 7th win of the season and 91st career race victory, which was till now achieved only by Michael Schumacher.
- Rafael Nadal won the men’s 2020 French Open Single. This is his 13th French Open men’s singles title and 20th Grand Slam title. The Spaniard defeated Novak Djokovic. Women’s 2020 French Open Single Title has won by Iga Swiatek.
- Nihal Sarin won the 2020 Junior Speed Online Chess Championship.
We hope that the above PDF is helpful in your preparation. Download other Useful PDFs here.
- Download Practicemock App for Updated Current Affairs, Free Topic-Wise Quizzes and Free Mini Mocks
- PracticeMock recommends AffairsCloud Current Affairs 2020 PDF. Buy Now and get Rs. 30 off by using the coupon code "PRACTICEMOCK"