Nobody can deny the fact that Current Affairs play a vital role in banking, government and insurance exams. It is quite important even beyond these competitive exams. This is one of the most scoring sections and if prepared well candidates can achieve a great score in it. Usually as far as current affairs is concerned almost all exams ask questions from past 6 to 7 months of current affairs. In order to help the aspirants with the exam preparation for this particular section, we have these current affairs weekly PDFs which we keep on sharing with you on a weekly basis. These PDFs have been prepared by subject matter experts who keep an eye on the different types of questions asked in competitive exams. In this article, we have come up with Current Affairs of August (Week 4) 2020.
For those who are preparing for SBI Clerk Mains, IBPS PO Prelims, SBI PO Prelims, RBI Assistant Mains, SSC CHSL Tier I, SEBI Grade A and other similar exams, these weekly current affairs PDFs are extremely important. And not just this PDF, you should also revise other Weekly Current Affairs PDFs as well. Let’s have a look at the current affairs content of this week.
- National E-Governance Division and the Common Service Centres (CSC) signed a pact to facilitate the delivery of UMANG application services through CSCs. UMANG is Unified Mobile Application for New Age Governance.
- The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has recently released a report on construction waste, according to which, India recycles only 1% of its demolition and construction waste.
- The CSIR-CMERI operating under the Ministry of Science and Technology has developed world largest solar tree. The tree has an annual capacity of generating 12,000 to 14,000 units of Clean and Green power.
- The NITI Aayog recently launched Nationally Determined Contributions Transport Initiative for Asia (NDC-TIA). The initiative was launched to decarbonize transport and provide technical support on Green Gas emission reduction measures. The initiative is supported by International Climate Initiative of German Ministry of Environment.
- The Indian Railways has solarised more than 960 railway stations. This is being done to achieve the objective of becoming 100% self-sustainable for all its power needs.
- The New Delhi Railway Station is to be redeveloped by the Rail Land Development Authority at Rs 6,500 crores.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment will launch mental health rehabilitation centre. The helpline number “1800-599-0019” will help in providing psychological support, psychological crisis management, early screening, mental wellbeing, first-aid, and will also help to prevent deviant behaviour.
- Ahmedabad Railway Division launched the Baggage Sanitization and Wrapping Machine at the
Ahmedabad Railway station to ensure safe travel for the passengers during the Pandemic. The railways
have taken this initiative under the New Innovative Non Fare Revenue Idea Scheme (NINFRIS).
- Kerala is to set up its first International Women Trade Centre as per terms defined under United Nations Sustainable Development goals. This is first of its kind in India.
- Gujarat Government has announced that the first sea plane services of India is to begin from October 31. The first seaplane is to take off from Sabarmati river front to Statue of Unity in Kevadia in Narmada district.
- Assam Cabinet passed a resolution to set up a Skill University at Mangaldoi in Assam with an investment of Rs 900 crores.
- The Karnataka Government will build transit homes for migrant workers. The homes aim to provide better living conditions for the migrant workers. The project is being launched with an inspiration from “Apna Ghar” project of Kerala.
- Arunachal Pradesh State Government passed the resolution to bring the state under Schedule VI of Indian Constitution. The sixth schedule of the constitution provides for the administration of tribal areas in Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya and Mizoram.
- Kerala has launched Marine Ambulance services named PRATHEEKSHA to provide more efficient rescue. The Marine Ambulance specializes in providing first aid and also rescue operations.
- Odisha launched a new scheme ‘Promotion of Intensive Aquaculture through Introduction of Bio-flocTechnology during the year 2020-21’.
- Delhi Government launched the Fitness Campaign – “Healthy Body, Healthy Mind”, for the students who are confined in their homes because of the lockdown imposed on Schools and colleges due to COVID-19 pandemic. As a part of the “Healthy Body, Healthy Mind” campaign, a YouTube channel has been started.
- In order to promote the trading of GI-tagged Kashmir Saffron, the Department of Agriculture operating under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare has created an e-auction portal in collaboration with NSE-IT.
- The UAE Government launched AGRIOTA, a new technology driven agricultural commodity trading platform that will bridge the rural farmers from India and the gulf Food Industry. The E-Market place allows the farmers to connect with the UAE food industry directly bypassing intermediaries.
- World Health Organization announced that the health care workers are to receive COVID-19 vaccine after senior citizens.
- World Health Organisation declared Africa polio-free. The disease is now found only in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- India and Bangladesh will open new inland waterway from September 3, 2020. This is based on the agreement signed by the countries in May 2020 on Inland Water Transit and Trade. The number of IBP (Indo-Bangladesh Protocol) routes were increased from eight to ten.
- The Industrial Ministers of BRICS countries attended video meeting on 5G, industrial internet and Artificial Intelligence. During the meet, China urged the BRICS countries to strengthen cooperation on digital transformation
- On August 28, 2020, the longest serving Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe resigned due to health issues.
- The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal addressed the Association of South East Asian Nation-India (ASEAN) Business Council meet. During the meet, minister emphasized on 3Cs namely Cooperation, Collaboration and Commitment.
- Russia released a 40-minute video of detonation of the world’s most powerful hydrogen bomb.
- China launched its fifth Gaofen-9 series satellite named “Gaofen-9 05” along with two smaller payloads
viz. Tiantuo-5 and Duo Gongneng Shiyan Weixing through Long March-2D carrier rocket from its Jiuquan
Satellite Launch Centre (JSLC) in northwest China.
- The United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) recently authorized the use of blood plasma therapy for COVID-19 patients. Other countries Plasma Therapy India is already using plasma therapy as a cure to COVID-19.
- Google launched ‘The Anywhere School’ initiative in more than 250 countries around the world. The
initiative is expected to benefit millions of students who have switched to learning from home, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Under the initiative, Google will roll out over 50 new features across products like Google Meet, Classroom, G Suite and other products.
REPORTS & SCHEMES
- The Government of India has decided to provide smart rural water supply system under Jal Jeevan Mission, Digital India, Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan and Make in India. The Jal Jeevan Mission is being implemented in the country with the aim of providing clean tap water connection to every rural household by 2024.
- Ministry of Civil Aviation sanctioned 78 new routes under 4th round of regional connectivity scheme (RCS). So far 766 new routes have been sanctioned under the scheme. The fourth round of UDAN scheme was launched in December 2019 focusing on North Eastern Regions, Islands and Hilly states. The operation of seaplanes and helicopters were also incorporated under the scheme.
- Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare decided to integrate electronic pension payment order with Digi Locker. This will enhance Ease of Living of the Central Government Pensioners. The system has been created with “Bhavishya Software”.
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal, has launched National GIS (Geographic Information System) enabled Land Bank System. The platform is to provide database of industrial clusters all over India. It will serve as one-stop solution to free and easy accessibility of industrial information. The platform is to be supported by National Centre of Geo-Informatics, Invest India, National E-Governance Division, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Bhaskaracharya Institute for Space Application and Geo-Informatics.
- On August 28, 2020, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana completed six years. The scheme is a national mission for financial inclusion. Around 40.35 crore beneficiaries benefitted under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana since 2014. As on August, 2020, of the accounts opened under the scheme, 63.6% were rural accounts and 55.2% were women accounts. A total of 29.75 crore RuPay cards were issued to Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account holders.
- Government of India announced that it will track the illegal beneficiaries of PM-KISAN scheme. The Ministry of Agriculture is to carry out the process.
- An analysis of data available at the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS) portal says that the share of women in the NREGS is the lowest since 2013-14. It has dipped to 52.46%.
- The World Health Organization recently reported that at least half of 25 kinds of health services experienced disruptions due to COVID-19.
- The United Nations recently released the first ever guidelines to social justice for people with disabilities in order to make it easy for them to access justice systems in the world.
NITI Aayog has released the Export Preparedness Index (EPI) in partnership with Institute of Competitiveness. Gujarat has topped the index followed by Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu. This is mainly because of their location near the coast. Among the land locked states, Rajasthan was the top performer followed by Telangana and Haryana. In the category of Himalayan states, Uttarakhand topped the list followed by Tripura and Himachal Pradesh. The report says that the 70% of exports of India are dominated by five states namely Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Telangana.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- According to the data provided by Ministry of Finance to Rajya Sabha, Tamil Nadu topped the list in availing MUDRA loans to women. It was followed by West Bengal and Karnataka.
- the Government of India launched “Chunauti”, the next generation start up challenge contest. Around 300 start ups working in select areas are to be identified and provided with seed fund up to Rs 25 lakhs. The challenge is launched with a special focus on Tier-II towns.
- The Indian Railways have generated more than 6,40,000-man days under Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan in six states. They are Jharkhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh.
- National Health Authority released the Draft Health Data Management Policy under the National Digital Health Mission. The main objective of the policy is to provide adequate guidance and set framework to secure processing of personal and sensitive personal data of individuals.
- Union Minister of Coal and Mines Shri Prahlad Joshi announced at a webinar that India aims for 100 million tonnes of coal gasification by 2030. This is to be achieved through investments worth Rs 4 lakh crores.
- According National Statistical Office, in spite of agricultural production going up in the country, the GDP is contracting. This is the first time India is witnessing fall in GDP in spite of agricultural production going up.
FINANCE AND BANKING
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman announced that the businesses with annual turnover of up to Rs 40 lakhs are exempted from GST. Earlier the limit was Rs 20 lakhs.
- Reserve Bank of India released its annual report 2019-20. According to the report, the total income of RBI in 2019-20 has increased by 28.97%. The Gross Non-Performing Ratio of banking system have declined to 9.1% as compared to 11.2% in March 2019. The currency in circulation has soared 17%. It was Rs 21.10 trillion in 2019-20. Bank frauds more than double in FY20 to Rs 1.85 trillion.
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) announced that subscriber for Atal Pension Yojana has crossed 21 million. The PFRDA also announced that the Assets Under Management (AUM) of the National Pension Scheme is set to touch Rs 5 lakh crores by the end of September.
- Government of Maharashtra and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank signed loan agreement of 500 million USD to improve service quality, safety and network capacity of suburban railway system in Mumbai.
- On August 27, 2020, the finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman chaired the 41st GST Council meet. The council discussed states’ compensation and revenue losses. In the fiscal year 2020-21, the GST shortfall is Rs 2.35 lakh crores.
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has introduced, ‘Structured
Finance and Partial Guarantee Program for Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFC)-Micro Finance
Institutions (MFIs)’, a dedicated debt and credit guarantee product. NABARD has signed a pact with
Vivriti Capital and Ujjivan Small Finance Bank on 14 August 2020 to introduce the initiative.
- Axis Bank, India’s third-largest private sector bank, has introduced ‘Liberty Savings Account’ for the Indian Youth, to address the ever changing lifestyle needs of young and digitally interested Indians.
- HDFC Bank announced a strategic partnership with Adobe to enhance the Digital Experiences of its
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
The Dutch author Marieke Lucas Rijneveld has become the youngest to win the International Booker Prize. He won the prize for his debut novel “The Discomfort of Evening”. The author is to share the prize along with the book’s translator Michele Hutchinson.
On August 31, 2020, the former President Pranab Mukherjee and Bharat Ratna, passed away at 84 after testing positive for COVID-19. The Government of India has announced seven-day state mourning.
Every year, India celebrates National Sports Day on August 29 to commemorate the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand. He was born on August 29, 1905. About Dhyan Chand Dhyan Chand was known as “The Wizard” and had scored more than 1000 goals during his international career.
- West Indies All-Rounder Dwayne John Bravo became the first bowler in Cricket to scalp 500 wickets in
- England pacer James Anderson (38) has become the first fast bowler in history to take 600 Test wickets.
We hope that the above PDF is going to be helpful in your preparation.
- Download Practicemock App for Updated Current Affairs, Free Topic-Wise Quizzes and Free Mini Mocks
- PracticeMock recommends AffairsCloud Current Affairs 2020 PDF. Buy Now and get Rs. 30 off by using the coupon code "PRACTICEMOCK"