Here we are again with the Current Affairs of Week 1, October 2020. In this PDF, we have covered all the important events from the perspective of upcoming exams like SSC CHSL, RRB PO Mains, RRB Clerk Mains. Having gone through the previous exams’ questions, it can be concluded that most of the current affairs questions are based on the events which have occurred within 6 months of the exam. This fact makes it obvious that revising current affairs of 6 months prior to the exam date is extremely important if you want to answer most of the current affairs questions correctly. In this article, we are providing you with the important events of the past 1 week (October 1-7, 2020).
This article covers the events of only the past week. However you can access and download the current affairs PDFs of all the weeks of all the months until January 2020 here. This compilation of PDF will help you in preparation as well as revision. The next exam which will have current affairs in the general awareness section will be RRB PO Mains & RRB Clerk Mains. So it is prudent that you start the preparation of your current affairs. As you keep preparing current affairs on a weekly basis, ensure that you keep revising the current affairs of past weeks as well. Start your CA preparation with the help of the PDF below.
- Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan has launched CSIR technologies for rural development. This is a joint initiative of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi and Vijnana Bharti (VIBHA).
- The French Space Agency CNES announced that it will participate in ISRO’s Venus Mission which has beennamed SHUKRAYAAN. The mission is going to be launched in 2025.
- The South Eastern Railways (SER) has launched the project, ‘Operation my Saheli’ to enhance the security of women passengers in the train. ” Operation my Saheli” is executed under the Framework of “Nirbhaya Fund” and no additional expenditure is provided by the Head of Railways.
- The indigenously developed Laser-Guided Anti Tank Guided Missile(ATGM) was successfully test-fired . This Laser Guided Missile has been developed by Armament Research and Development Establishment, Pune in association with High Energy Materials Research Laboratory, Pune and IRDE, Dehradun.
- The Union Minister of Jal Shakti Gajendra Singh has launched the 100-days campaign. The campaign seeks to provide piped water supply to schools and Anganwadi centres. This mission was launched on the occasion of 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Reliance Life Sciences has developed a real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) kit. It claims to diagnose COVID-19 infection in about 2 hours.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated ‘Atal Tunnel’ in Manali. It is “world’s longest highway” tunnel (9.02 kilometres long) and is named Atal Tunnel, Rohtang. It connects Manali in Himachal Pradesh to Lahaul-Spiti throughout the year.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Vaishvik Bhartiya Vaigyanik (VAIBHAV) Summit 2020 to celebrate Science and Innovation from India and the World. It is a month long global virtual summit of overseas and resident Indian Researchers and Academicians. The summit will conclude on 31st October 2020 (Birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel).
- DRDO has successfully flight-tested Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART) from Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha.
- NITI Aayog, The New and Renewable Energy Ministry, and Invest India has organized a global symposium virtually ‘India PV EDGE 2020’ on October 6. The summit is being organised in order to catalyse cutting-edge solar cell manufacturing in India.
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh released book on ‘Discovering the Heritage of Assam’. It is written by Padampani Bora (IRS 2009 batch) with foreword by Amitabh Bachchan. It has been published by Penguin.
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation has released India’s first Pan India TIME USE SURVEY (TUS). TUS measures the amount of time people spend doing various activities, such as paid work, childcare, volunteering, and socializing.
- Participation rate of men in paid employment is high compared to women
- Women’s participation in unpaid services is much more than men.
- Men tend to participate more in socializing, communication, and religious practice than women.
- PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated virtual summit ‘RAISE 2020 (Responsible AI for Social Empowerment 2020)’. It has been organized byMinistry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and NITI Aayog. 61,000 stakeholders from 140 countries have registered to participate in RAISE 2020.
- The central government has extended the deadline of the TREM Stage-IV emission norms. These norms for tractors were scheduled to be applicable from October 2020. Now, the government of India has extended the deadline to October 1, 2021.
- The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) will commission the India’s largest High Performance Computing and Artificial Intelligence (HPC-AI) supercomputer, ‘PARAM Siddhi – AI’. This would put India into top countries in the field of global AI supercomputing research and innovation.
- The Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode will launch an e-learning hub and library as a pilot project for villagers in Mavoor. Mavoor village is one of the five villages that has been adopted by the institute under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA).
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) and NCERT in order to make education materials accessible for Deaf children.
- Puducherry airport has become the first airport of Airports Authority of India (AAI) which is entirely (100%) solar-powered.
- My Ganga My Dolphin campaign was launched on the occasion of Ganga River Dolphin Day. This campaign was launched by the National Mission for Clean Ganga, the Wildlife Institute of India and the Forest Department.
- The Indian Coast Guard have launched a 98-metre offshore patrol vessel ‘Vigraha’ at a private shipyard in Kattupalli, Chennai on October 7, 2020. These vessels have been built and designed by Larsen and Toubro Shipbuilding under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- Gujarat Government has signed an MoU with Denmark in the water sector. The state government arm Gujarat Water Supply and Sewerage Board has signed the MoU with ‘Danish Water Forum’ through an online interactive platform.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) regional office in Karnataka launched the Sanitation Literacy Campaign to promote literacy on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, (WASH) under Swach Bharath Mission.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has launched the ‘Pathashree Abhijan’. It is a road repair scheme.
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal rolled out web portal titled as ‘Kritagyata’ for online pension submission and tracking system
- Red Cherry Pepper Chili of Sikkim which is locally known as ‘Dalle Khursani’ has got Geographical Indication (GI) tag from department of Industry promotion and internal trade. Dalle Khursani is considered as one of hottest chili in the world.
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has launched a mega anti-air pollution campaign titled as ‘Yudh Pradushan ke Virudh’ amid COVID-19 pandemic. A mobile app named ‘Green Delhi’ is also being prepared through which people can bring pollution causing activities to the notice of the state government.
- The Gujarat State Government launched the “Digital Seva Setu Programme” for rural areas. It was launched under the Bharat Net Project of the Central government.
- Amnesty International India has stopped its operations in India as government froze the bank accounts of the organization (on September 10) for allegedly breaking rules on foreign funding laws.
- The second edition of Indian Navy (IN) – Bangladesh Navy (BN) Bilateral Exercise Bongosagar commence in Northern Bay of Bengal.
- Origin Space, located in Beijing, China is ready to send the world’s first asteroid mining robot into space in November 2020. The robot is named as ‘asteroid mining robot’.
- India and France have collaborated to launch constellation of maritime surveillance satellites for the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) to trace illegal spillage of oil by ships. This surveillance satellite will be the World’s first space-based system capable of tracking ships.
- External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar met the foreign ministers of the Australia-India-Japan-United States Quadrilateral or Quad in Tokyo, on October 6, 2020.
- NASA has renamed Northrop Grumman Cygnus resupply spacecraftas SS Kalpana Chawla after its Indian origin astronaut Kalpana Chawla. The spacecraft was launched by Antares rocket from Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS)
- The 12th BRICS Summit will be held on 17th November 2020 through video conferencing. The theme of 12th BRICS Summit: BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth. It is to be held under the Chairmanship of Russia.
- India and Myanmar are working towards the operationalization of Sittwe port in Rakhine state of Myanmar in the first quarter of 2021.
REPORTS & SCHEMES
- Union Minister Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot has launched the “Ambedkar Social Innovation and Incubation Mission (ASIIM)”. The mission has been launched under the Venture Capital Fund for Scheduled Castes (SCs) in order to promote innovation and enterprise among SC students studying in higher educational institutions.
- The National Crime Record Bureau have recently released a report titled “Crime in India”, 2019. As per the report, crimes against members of the Scheduled Castes (SCs) and the Scheduled Tribes (STs) reported an increase of over 7% and 26% in 2019 respectively as compared with the 2018 figure.
- The National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), has revised the ideal weight for both men and women in the country by adding 5-5 kg.
- As per the new guidelines, the average weight of Indian men is 65kg and for women 55 kg.
- The research body also increased the height for men to 5 feet 8 inches (earlier 5 feet 6 inches).
- Similarly, the height of Indian women has now been increased to 5 feet 3 inches (earlier 5 feet in 2010).
- NIN Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Ministry of AYUSH recently endorsed the operational integration of Ayush Grid with the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM).
- NSS ‘Time Use Survey’, which was a first of its kind, was recently conducted by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
- The survey was conducted between January 2019 and December 2019.
- 1.39 lakh households comprising 4.47 lakh persons over the age of six were listed.
- The primary objective of the survey is to measure the participation of men and women in paid and unpaid activities.
- It provides information on time spent in unpaid caregiving activities, volunteer work, unpaid domestic service-producing activities of the household members.
- Survey also highlights the information on time spent on learning, socializing, leisure activities and self-care activities by the households.
- 38.2 % of the population participates in “employment and other related activities. They spend 429 minutes or 7 hours and 9 minutes each day.
- A Survey was conducted by the Development Monitoring and Evaluation Office (DMEO), NITI Ayog in order to assess performance of different Ministries or Departments’ on the implementation of Central Sector Schemes (CS) and Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS).
- Department of Fertilizers under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers has been ranked 2nd amongst the 16 Economic Ministries or Departments and
- It has also been ranked 3rd out of the 65 Ministries or Departments.
- The total score of the department was 4.11 on a scale of 5 in the Data Governance Quality Index (DGQI),
- The DMEO, Niti Aayog has undertaken DGQI exercise “Self-assessment based review of data preparedness levels” to produce a DGQI score card.
- MoHUA will celebrate Six Years of Swachh Bharat Mission as Swachhata ke 6 saal, Bemisaal’.
- Under the Prime Minister Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) Scheme, Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs had launched the Application Programming Interface (API) integration between the PM SVANidhi Portal and the State Bank of India (SBI) portal.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Tata Steel and Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) have signed an MoU to collaborate in the area of Carbon Capture, Utilisation & Storage (CCUS).
- Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda virtually launched India’s largest handicraft and organic products marketplace- (market.tribesindia.com) on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti on October 2, 2020. This e-marketplace in line with the vision of the Prime Minister of making India Aatmanirbhar and self-reliant. This initiative of TRIFED will showcase the produce and handicrafts of tribal enterprises from across the country.
- Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda has inaugurated Tribal Entrepreneurship Development Programme through Video conference. Its Centre of Excellence (CoE) has been set up by apex industry body Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM). This initiative will run for 3 years.
- Paytm has announced the launch of its “mini app” store to support Indian developers in taking their products to the masses in line with Google
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has signed MoU with Swiggy to onboard street food vendors on its e-commerce platform under PM SVANidhi Scheme.
- Prasar Bharati has signed MoU with Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited (IFFCO) to broadcast and promote new agriculture technology and innovations. As per the MoU, DD Kisan will broadcast various innovative techniques of agriculture field in easy language through 30 minutes program series.
FINANCE AND BANKING
- Indian Bank has unveiled its “IB-eNote” to enable a total paperless working environment
- The country’s largest public-sector lender State Bank of India (SBI) announced the appointment of Charanjit Singh Attra as c(CFO).
- The 42nd GST Council met on October 5, 2020 under the Chairmanship of Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman. GST Compensation Cess levy have been extended beyond the transition period of five years i.e. beyond June, 2022.
- RBI has approved 3-member interim committee of directorsto Dhanlaxmi Bank in the capacity of Managing Director & CEO.
- Government has appointed Dinesh Kumar Khara as the Chairman of State Bank of India (SBI) for three years effective from 7 October. He will succeed Rajnish Kumar.
- ICICI Bank in partnership with VISA has launched a debit card facility for the customers availing the Loan Against Securities (LAS) from Bank.
- Government has named three eminent economists Ashima Goyal, Jayanth R Varma and Shashanka Bhide as the new members of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC). The step is taken as Chetan Ghate, Pami Dua, and Ravindra Dholakia terms ended.
- SEBI has introduced ‘very high risk category’ on its Mutual Funds (MF) riskometer tool, to warn investors, who are investing in mutual fund schemes. Prior to this, MF risk-o-meter (that indicates risk level of investment) had five categories: low, moderately low, moderate, moderately high and high. The 6th category will come into effect from 1 January 2021.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- The Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Skekhawat presented the Swachh Bharat Awards, 2020 on October 2, 2020. The awards were presented under the cleanliness and drinking water categories.
- Swachh Bharat Awards 2020 were presented to States, Districts, Blocks and Village Panchayats in 3 categories:
- Gujarat bagged 1st position at state level, while Tirunelveli (Tamil Nadu) at district level in Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shouchalaya category
- Gujarat and UP were best performing states in Samudayik Shouchalaya Abhiyan category.
- Haryana, Telangana bagged top position in Gandagi Mukth Bharat category.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal announced the results of the first edition of National Startup Awards in New Delhi.
- Awards are given in 12 sectors: Agriculture, Education, Enterprise Technology, Energy, Finance, Food, Health, Industry and Urban Services
- National Startup Awards for Agriculture Productivity: Nava Design and innovation Pvt Ltd.
- Clean energy sector: Aloe E cell Pvt Ltd
- Satellite technology: Bellatrix Aerospace Pvt Ltd.
- Harvey J Alter, Charles M Rice (America) and Michael Houghton (British) jointly won the Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology 2020 for the discovery of the hepatitis C virus (HCV).
- Roger Penrose and Reinhard Genzel & Andrea Ghez has been conferred with Nobel Prize in Physics 2020 for their discoveries about Black hole. Roger Penrose used mathematical methods to prove black holes are direct consequence of Einstein’s general theory of relativity. Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez bagged the award for the discovery of supermassive compact object at centre of our galaxy
- Nasrin Sotoudeh (Iran), Bryan Stevenson (US), Lottie Cunningham Wren (Nicaragua) and Ales Bialiatski (Belarus) have bagged Right Livelihood Award 2020. It is an international award, also known as Alternative Nobel Prize.
PERSON IN NEWS
- ITBP Director General S S Deswal (1984-batch IPS officer) has been given the additional charge of counter-terrorism force National Security Guard (NSG).
- Former Acting Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court Justice Anantkumar Surendraray Dave passed away in Ahmedabad.
- Veteran Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav passed away. He started his political career from Auraiya district (Uttar Pradesh).
- The International Day of Older Persons is observed on 1st October every year to raise awareness about issues affecting the elderly, such as senescence and elder abuse. The theme of 2020 is ‘Pandemics: Do They Change How We Address Age and Ageing?’.
- The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on October 2 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. This year the day is being celebrated under the Theme- Shaping Peace Together.
- World Day for Farmed Animals was celebrated on October 2, 2020 by the International animals’ welfare organization, World Animal Protection along with the Asia for Animals coalition in order to bring the focus on the need to treat farm animals as sentient beings
- World Animal Day is observed every year on October 4 across the globe.
- World Teachers’ Day (International Teachers Day) is being observed annually on October 5 since 1994. It is co-convened in partnership with UNICEF, the International Labour Organization and Education International. Theme 2020: Teachers: Leading in crisis, reimagining the future.
- The World Habitat Day is observed on the first Monday of October month every year. The day is being celebrated under the theme- Housing for All-A better Urban Future
- Wildlife Week is being observed in India annually from 2 to 8 October to conserve and protect the fauna or animal life of the country. Theme for Wildlife Week 2020: RoaR (Roar and Revive) – Exploring Human-Animal Relationships.
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju launched the Sports Authority of India’s (SAI) new logo at Delhi’s Major Dhyan Chand Stadium.
- India’s Visnu Shivaraj Pandian (16 year) has won 10m air rifle event at the fifth edition of the International Online Shooting Championship.
- Download Practicemock App for Updated Current Affairs, Free Topic-Wise Quizzes and Free Mini Mocks
- PracticeMock recommends AffairsCloud Current Affairs 2020 PDF. Buy Now and get Rs. 30 off by using the coupon code "PRACTICEMOCK"